October 15, 2014

My Central Perk Pop-Up Shop Experience


OMG I WENT TO CENTRAL PERK!!

REALLY?!

no.

When my family arrived in NYC, it was almost 3 pm, and my parents dropped my brother and I off at 199 Lafayette St, where we saw
a line (in the photo above). It didn't seem like a terrible line, so my brother and I walked up and found ourselves among several other groups of confused Friends fans. Then, we overheard the security guard say "Sorry guys, the line which starts on Mulberry St. is closed right now, check back in a few hours. You should come back on a weekday when it's less crowded!"

....what?...

we all stood there, dumbfounded, heartbroken, and confused.
(and honey, we all got work/school which is why NO ONE comes on the weekday, okay?)

"GUYS YOU HAVE TO CLEAR THE SIDEWALKS SO KEEP MOVING!"

that was the speech we heard every 1-2 minutes or so.

My brother and I walked down the block, and saw how the line extended for another block or two.
There were police officers and security guards posted EVERYWHERE.
The line was very long, but existed in chunks (separated by security guards) to allow for pedestrians to pass by with ease (and might I say, they actually did a pretty good job; guess all the yelling works).


When we got to the end of the line, we asked the security guard "How much longer until the line opens?"

He replied, "Sorry, the line is closed for the day."

...great.

So my brother and I made a day (more like an hour) of it by roaming Little Italy which is right around the corner and my mom and I later walked around the streets near Central Perk, even stopping by Despana, a Spanish tapas bar/cafe and market located right next door to Central Perk.

We did get a quick glimpse into Central Perk, and saw mannequins displaying iconic costumes (like Rachel Green's black shirt),
a big tv screen playing an episode of Friends, and A LOT OF PEOPLE. 
Everything was roped off, so I'm not sure where they located the orange sofa (I know people can take photos on that), but it was also very crowded (given that it was a Saturday).



xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment