October 6, 2014

Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup


it is COLD outside.
38*F at 6:30 in the morning is no picnic, even for someone who loves cold weather.
i'd much rather be sitting at home, in my fuzzy pjs, in bed, watching Grey's Anatomy, and eating this soup.
I can't stay at home, but I can wear my pjs :) (pajama day at school whoohoo)

So I went to costco for the first time on Saturday, and I was really surprised by the stuff they sold: 
we found butternut squash, coconut chips, acai juice, and even all-natural almond butter! these are definitely things that I'd see at
Wegman's but not so much at Sam's; I definitely think that the quality of the food at Costco & the layout/presentation is much better than that of Sam's, but Costco is also missing a few things that Sam's sells (like sliced almonds).

regardless, I decided to cook butternut squash for the first time, and what do I make? 
SOUP :)


aren't pearl onions the best?! i didn't add them to this soup, but I think i'll caramelize them and mix some peas in as a side ;)


Recipe: Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
By: Hannah Claudia
___________________________________________

1 package of butternut squash (2 lbs)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
2 cups of water
leftover coconut milk (from RAW pumpkin pie; after scooping out cream)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Melt the coconut oil in a big pot and sautee the spices to bring out their flavor
2. Add the butternut squash and toss it in the spices.
3. Add the water and let it cook until the squash has softened.
4. Add the leftover coconut milk.
5. Blend the soup in a blender





it's really really good.
i promise

xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment