September 26, 2014

Potato Split Pea Cakes


more potatoes? 
i know, it's uncharacteristic of me to eat so many starchy foods, but we have nearly 2.5 bags full of potatoes at home that need to be eaten. And I have some yellow split peas that need to be eaten (don't taste that great though), so I thought it would be fun to play around with the whole concept of "latkes" and make my own mashed potato cake...
i intended on eating this as a a savory dish but I mixed in 1 mashed banana yesterday and it tasted really good sweet too; it doesn't hold up as well so if you do that, try mixing in some oat flour or something to thicken it up.


Recipe: Potato Split Pea Cakes
By: Hannah Claudia
________________________________

3 potatoes, (peeled if unorganic) boiled until fork tender
about 1 cup of yellow lentils, cooked
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
black pepper, salt, paprika (to taste)
coconut oil for cooking

(opt mix ins: cooked peas, chives/herbs, sun dried tomatoes)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mash the potatoes and the lentils in a food processor until you get a creamy consistency
2. Mix in the spices/herbs and nutritional yeast with a fork
3. Let it sit in the fridge to firm up (if needed), or immediately use an ice cream scoop to portion out little balls of batter and cook on a skillet that's been heating with coconut oil
4. Flip when it's golden brown (won't take too long)


yeah, I know, not the most picturesque thing, but I took this photo on Tuesday night when I had got home late, spent 3 hours working on my Spanish project, and had a few grapes for a snack (hadn't eaten anything from 11 to 7pm. this girl was hungry).
my throat still hurts and I'm going to a football game tonight :P fingers crossed I won't need to talk all that much and the people around me can do it for me ;) (it's for a club cause this girl likes playing football but hates watching it)

xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment