September 22, 2014

Coconut Quinoa Granola



I have FINALLY made a good batch of granola without using condensed milk (although if you are able to eat dairy and want to treat yourself, wink wink, cause condensed milk is the key to an amazing granola)!!!!!!

I don't like adding a lot of oil/sweetener (even natural sweeteners like honey/maple syrup), because oil is still oil and sugar is still sugar. We need both in moderation, but I always feel like the typical granola recipes I see tend to have a bevy of oil and sugar which I don't like. I've tried to make granola using egg whites or applesauce, but I've been left with soggy granola far too many times, and that's no fun. So the day before my birthday, I made some granola with coconut oil and maple syrup, as a treat, and dang. It tasted good.



Recipe: Coconut Quinoa Granola
By: Hannah Claudia
_____________________________

3 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of quinoa, uncooked, rinsed 3 times (removes the bitterness)
cinnamon (as much or as little as you like)
1 cup of coconut flakes or coconut chips (unsweetened is preferred but I only had sweetened)
5 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
5 tablespoons of maple syrup
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup of craisens

(opt mix ins: almonds, walnuts, pecans, chia, flax)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix all of the ingredients except for the craisens.
2. Bake at 325*F for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. Let the mixture cool (this is when it'll harden!)


***If you want thicker chunks of granola, try adding an additional 1-2 tablespoons of oil and don't stir the granola as it's cooking.




xoxo, Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment