September 13, 2014

Asian Quinoa

                                                    

It's Saturday morning. It's cloudy and chilly outside. I like this weather...

It's only 10 am but I feel exhausted. I spent all of last night finishing up homework assignments and two hours of this morning finishing up my college apps (yeah, it's mid-September, but I need them done before the school year gets even crazier). *deep sigh*

I wish I had time and energy to exercise daily again. I haven't gone biking since the day before school started, I aim to do a 1/2 hr of blogilates 2-3 times a week, and I continue with my daily routine of squats/crunches/push ups, but there's nothing like getting your heart rate up with some cardio. Ugh. Feeling lethargic is no fun, but it's hard to come out of that cave after a long & strenuous day.

Lately I've been needing pre-made meals since I've been so busy. This quinoa recipe is comforting and can easily be made ahead of time, so all you have to do on a busy weeknight is heat it up in the microwave for a minute for dinner! I really like the taste of ginger, so I go heavier on the ginger, so if you're not a big fan, just add a little less (I think adding some will still help with the quintessential Asian flavors).


Recipe: Asian Quinoa
By: Hannah Claudia

(makes 2-3 servings)
_________________________________________________

1/2 cup of quinoa cooked in 1 cup of water
1/2 zucchini, chopped in quarter pieces, then sauteed
3-4 large portabello mushrooms, chopped in quarter pieces, then sauteed
about 1 cup of frozen peas, cooked
1 cooked corn on the cob, kernels cut off
1/2 cup of chickpeas, cooked
1/2 of an onion, sliced thinly or minced, then caramelized
handful of cashews

for the sauce:
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of sushi vinegar
2 inch piece of ginger, grated (make sure you save the juice)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Make the sauce
2. Toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl with the sauce.


My way of taking mental breaks is watching Grey's Anatomy...ughh it feels so good to just lay back sometimes and just let yourself be absorbed in another world.

xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment