August 25, 2014

Cheese-y Pesto Pasta & Cashew-Basil Pesto (Vegan and Gluten-Free)


I just finished an intense two-day home project (re-painting my room) with my dad, and I am pretty tired.
I haven't eaten all day, so I'm stuffing myself with an awesome Japanese/Vietnamese-Italian (without the Mexican tortilla chips) 
salad (mentioned yesterday), coconut water, and some terra chips (i think the blue potato ones are my favorite). yum yum.

My lactose intolerance has severed my love affair with cheese, and I haven't eaten cheese in a very long time but I try some vegan cheese the other day (not gonna say the brand because it's not the best) and it went pretty well with this pesto pasta that I made for my brother. 


Recipe: Cashew-Basil Pesto
By: Hannah Claudia
__________________________

1/4 cup of cashews, toasted
1.5 cups of basil
1/4 cup of olive oil (or enough to achieve your desired consistency)
juice of 1/2 lemon (1 lemon if you like it tangy)
black pepper (to taste)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Blitz the cashews and basil and lemon juice
2. Gradually add the olive oil until your desired consistency is achieved

Recipe: Cheese-y Pesto Pasta
By: Hannah Claudia
_______________________________

1 cup of pasta (i only had gluten-free spaghetti on hand), cooked (reserve about 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water)
cashew-basil pesto
1/2 cup of spinach
1 tablespoon of sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
1/4 cup of chick peas
1/2 tomato, chopped (i had a green tomato on hand)
1/8 cup of sliced vegan mozzarella cheese
fresh basil (to top)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Using some of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes, sautee the spinach
2. When the spinach is wilted, mix in the chickpeas, tomatoes, and sun dried tomatoes. 
3. Over medium heat, toss the spaghetti/pasta with some pesto and a little bit of the starchy pasta water (just enough water to help the pesto coat the spaghetti/pasta)
4. Add the mozzarella to the spaghetti/pasta, and let it melt. 
5. Toss in the vegetables and serve.



xoxo, Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment