July 29, 2014

Steamed Egg


I've probably eaten this ever since I was born: It's easy to make, inexpensive, super creamy, and SOFT so even babies can eat this stuff. I remember eating this with soysauce and rice when I was little and just being so happy with that ;)

This recipe is the perfect way to stretch a few eggs to serve several people; usually it takes about 2 eggs per person when making scrambled eggs to make enough for everyone, but here, 3 eggs can easily be stretched to serve 4 generously or even my family of 6 when it's served with other sides for dinner. 

The whole science behind the egg to water ratio has always been a mystery for me; my dad used to just eyeball everything and the consistency would vary every time. I've found a few recipes online with odd ways of measuring as well, such as using 1/2 of an eggshell as a measurement of volume (which doesn't make the best sense since no egg is the same size and eggs crack different every time) . At last, after flipping through a Chinese recipe book, I found a recipe for steamed egg with a water to egg ratio that worked pretty well. I modified the recipe a bit and here's my version of steamed egg:

Recipe: Steamed Egg
By: Hannah Claudia
_________________________

3 eggs
200 mL of water
(opt mix in's: cooked peas, scallions, parsley, minced meat)
Ideas for toppings: sesame oil, soy sauce, chopped scallions/parsley/basil, salt & pepper, tomato slices (i used roasted tomatoes), furikake seasoning, sesame seeds

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix the eggs and water in a bowl. (If you want a super smooth & creamy consistency, strain the mixture)
2. Prep a steamer (I use a double boiler method). When the water comes to a boil, place the bowl in the steamer/pot. 
3. Lower the heat to medium and place a lid on the boiler/steamer. Steam for about 7-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
comes out clean. (The timing will vary based on how deep your bowl is & whether or not you add raw meat into the mixture; just make sure that you don't overcook it cause that'll give you a very grainy texture and a slight grey-ish tinge to the egg!)




xoxo,
hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment