July 25, 2014

Spinach Muffins


drinking a green juice has not been a viable option for me this past week since the antibiotics that I have to eat (post wisdom surgery requirement) have been making me insanely hungry. Also, I just don't want to run the risk of getting a stomachache; the green juice digests so quickly and it's better if I have some food in my stomach along with the antibiotic.

So with that being said, I have a very large box of spinach in the fridge that needs to be eaten, and I don't want to just cook it as is since my jaws are still slightly sore and I don't want to really have to chew on stuff. While looking up spinach recipes, I ran across this spinach muffin recipe and I was so excited to try it out!

I subbed in 1 cup of oat flour and 1 cup of coconut flour (just blitzed up some unsweetened coconut flakes until they were "powdery") for the flour in the recipe, used almond milk instead of regular milk, and omitted the sugar (no substitutes or anything!).   So I ended up with a VEGAN-GLUTEN FREE-NATURALLY SWEETENED-NUT/SOY FREE muffin that tasted NOTHING like spinach!

I tricked my brother & my mom; my brother thought it was a pistachio muffin and my mom thought it was a green tea muffin (hehehe).
They loved it, and a little while later, I divulged the secret and they were really surprised! I'm so happy that I came across this recipe; note to self: keep this recipe in your repertoire for when you have kids.


these green muffins got me thinking about these pandan waffles that my dad used to buy for us from Chinatown when we were little; I remember that there was this one type that you could get that was filled with peanut butter. *aghhh i'm dreaming about it right now*




my dad can't eat a ton of iron-rich foods (spinach), so I made some rosemary dinner rolls (i omitted the honey & added extra herbs & subbed in 1 cup of whole wheat flour) for him and also especially for my brother because this is his FAVORITE bread recipe that I've made.



been super productive lately: edited & pre-uploaded SIX videos yesterday for youtube, did some DIYs, baked these muffins & rolls, did college research, practiced my Italian, spent 2-3 hours on java (curse that word...i don't think i'll ever be able to order a cup of java anymore)...and TODAY: spent 2 hours on java, wrote this blog post (well writing it), set up my tutoring room (set up a table --which was not easy to move down to the basement--, chairs, white board, etc), and i'm about to work on some DIYs until it's time to pick up my brother from summer school (been practicing my driving ;) ).

so it's been a less-stressful day i guess, especially because i was somewhat successful with java and i got a pretty good workout running up and down the stairs carrying that table and those chairs ;)

xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment