July 20, 2014

Flax-Oat Tortilla


In my last post, I shared an egg salad recipe and I mentioned that I wrapped the egg salad in a homemade flax-oat tortilla that's gluten-free & vegan & nut free, and today, I'm going to be sharing that recipe !

I shared a previous recipe for an oat flatbread, and although it satiated my craving for some type of cracker/flatbread, it wasn't the best dupe. I've found out that using a blender to grind up oats & flax seeds is the PERFECT tool; it really grinds everything up so that the flour is pretty much "finely milled" (is a makeup term allowed to be used in a culinary context?). So no need to clean your coffee grinder or to buy a spice grinder, just use your blender! (works much better than a food processor & takes less time too)

Recipe: Flax-Oat Tortilla
By: Hannah Claudia
_______________________

1 cup flax meal (ground up flax seeds)
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of oat flour (ground up oatmeal)
(opt) your desired spices

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Blend all of the ingredients together in a food processor until it becomes a sticky/tacky dough.
2. Scoop out a 1/8-1/4 cupful of dough and shape into a ball
3. Place the ball of dough between two large sheets of cling wrap and roll it out with a rolling pin to your desired thickness (i made mine very thin and it actually held up very nicely)
4. For a tortilla: bake at 350*F for 4 minutes
For  a cracker: bake at 350*F for 6 minutes
(bake on a cooling rack for a tortilla that isn't soggy on one side)

(i had to bake in batches; 2 per batch, since mine were so big xD, but no worries, it doesn't take much time to bake anyways)




for savory tortillas, i use smoked paprika, black pepper, and anise seed
for sweet tortillas, i use cinnamon

 the dough should be pretty sticky; divide the dough into balls that are about 1/4 cup for a pretty large tortilla
 place a small round ball of dough between two sheets of cling wrap/clear wrap when rolling it out
(trust me, saves you A TON of time)
bake it on top of a cooling rack for a tortilla that isn't soggy on one side

 of course, i had to serve it with two of my favorite pairings: pb & banana and hummus & avocado

yum yum

getting wisdom teeth surgery tomorrow so i've got a busy day full of java (story of my life, right?) and food prep for the rest of the week. wish me luck!

xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment