June 23, 2014

Pico de Gallo




my day so far:
6:45 am: woke up
7:20 am: got up & chugged water
7:25 am: bike ride in the cold morning air with pj shorts and a t-shirt
7:45 am: came home, began my online java class
9:30 am: in the midst of my frustration with programming, i run downstairs to refill my water and grab my                     breakfast (green juice)
11:15 am: run into my dad's room on the verge of pulling my hair out after trying to compile programs for the                last few hours
11:45 am: (in the worst mood possible) still had not yet compiled the program and made some lunch
12:10 pm: Google wasn't working right and I had to send out emails as the new club co-president
1:00 pm: typed up 5 pages of notes from reading 30 pages of a chapter in my AP Bio textbook (don't give                 out summer HW by the way if you're a teacher out there)
3:00 pm: finished the bio notes, attempted to go back to the java programs and realized that i have absolutely               no idea how to convert integers to string and that i barely even know what that means.
3:30 pm: (now) typing this post and venting

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

UGH. what started off as a great morning (the first 20 minutes of my day biking basically) basically tumbled into the most mentally straining, frustrating, and tiring day. There's so many things that I want to do but I can't because my school work has to be my first priority and it's taking up way too much of my time :P

But that's where cooking comes in. No matter how suck-y a day can get, especially towards the end of my junior year, coming home and just spending time in the kitchen made me feel so relaxed. Even food prep, like chopping up vegetables, was soothing. Cooking, for me, has become such an integral part of my daily life that it's habitual and there's nothing new or frustrating to me when it comes to cooking so I can just let my mind go and not think for a second. And making this pico de gallo is just one of those things that's so easy and allows me to forget all my frustrations when I'm chopping up the ingredients.

Recipe: Pico de Gallo
By: Hannah Claudia
______________________________________

1-2 steak tomatoes, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped finely
3 scallions, chopped finely
1/8 cup of parsley, chopped finely
1-2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
juice of 1/2 a lemon
(opt) corn kernels, cooked
(opt) nectarine/mango/peach, chopped

:::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix all of the ingredients together :) 

(it tastes better after letting all the flavors mingle in the fridge but it's great immediately as well)







lettuce has become my gluten-free "taco shells" lately, and i gotta be honest, they're actually really good. in this photo, the lettuce shell is holding some kidney beans (dried ones that were cooked in water & passata which is just pure crushed tomatoes in a jar with nothing else) and the pico de gallo (with corn kernels and nectarine chunks).

wish me luck as i attempt to compile the darn programs again xP

xoxo, Hannah





No comments:

Post a Comment