June 19, 2014

Loving Lately: June Favorites

Instead of a beauty favorite post, we're just gonna go with the food favorites of the month ;)



1. 粽子 aka Cantonese zhong : sticky rice mixed with peanuts and/or chestnuts and/or mung beans and/or mushrooms (and/or a bunch of other things) and it's wrapped in bamboo leaves and steamed. Yes, it's high on the glycemic index and I've been so frustrated because people have all of a sudden started giving them to us as gifts and I can't help but eat a giant one whenever my Grandpa cooks them!


2. Zucchini Noodles (recipe will come soon) : I absolutely detest the word "zoodles" for some reason (among several other words like "moist" :P ) but I absolutely love these things! I've never liked eating zucchini raw, but when they're in noodle form, everything just changes instantly and they taste soo good. In this photo, the noodles are tossed in a radish leaf lemon pesto, radish slices, toasted almond slices, and tomatoes. Thank you to whoever invented the spiralizer!



3. Beets: I've been incredibly obsessed with beets ever since my family went to a sushi buffet and they served beets at the salad bar. I played around with beets last year when I mixed them into my green juices (raw), but I had never really cooked them. All I do now is steam them in their skins for about an hour and then dunk them in cold water and peel off the skins. They make a great addition to any salad and they're so healthy.

4. Cauliflower Rice: all you have to do to make cauliflower rice is take some cauliflower ( I use both the stems and the florets) and blitz everything up in a food processor until it resembles a rice texture. It tastes nothing like rice, but it's still really addicting. It has a nutty flavor and tastes nothing like regular cauliflower which i don't really like. I toast them with some coconut oil for a couple minutes and eat it like I would rice. I've even tried using cauliflower rice as a substitute for rice when I make sushi and it tastes great too :) When making fried rice with cauliflower rice though, don't soak the cauliflower rice in the beaten egg unless you want a creamy risotto texture (it tastes great that way but it's not fried rice). Instead, just scramble the eggs on the side and then mix them in!


5. My Dad's Birthday Fruit Tart? (more specifically, the carrot cake crust!) : It's paleo, vegan, gluten-free, and contains no sugar!! (except for natural sugars) Plus, it's super quick and easy to whip up since it only contains 3 ingredients. Instead of making the crust, I usually form them into little tablespoon sized "munchkins". It's super addicting and sweet (even though there's no added sugar); plus, you feel great eating them because you're eating a vegetable for dessert! Win-Win for everyone ;)



6. Date Milk: Super sweet and it's been my substitute for hot chocolate for the summer. Last night, I mixed in some chia seeds and had some sweet chia seed pudding without having to add any maple syrup! Mix in some banana slices and you've got the sweetest and another super healthy dessert (that you can even eat for breakfast)!


7. Lettuce Cups: I made some pico de gallo and I've been wanting some tortilla chips to eat with it, but I always try to avoid buying processed snack foods (even when they're all-natural and contain no preservatives/artificial flavors) because I will easily demolish the entire bag of chips/cereal (aka Chex) / granola in five minutes flat. So, the idea just came to me and I use lettuce as "taco shells" and spoon my pico de gallo in them! I think I had the idea when watching Laura Vitale's chicken satay with peanut sauce video so thanks Laura Vitale ;) In this photo, I've filled the lettuce cups with radish slices, corn, and my Hummus Dressing.


8. Coconut Banana Cacao Walnut Oatmeal: June was test month (so was May) and oatmeal is always my go-to power food. My favorite oatmeal pairing/combo has been banana slices (of course), unsweetened coconut flakes, cacao nibs, and chopped walnuts. Tastes like you're eating a dessert for breakfast, but there's no sugar other than the natural sugars in the bananas! And of course, oatmeal keeps me extremely full for 5-6 hours typically so I won't have to worry about my stomach growling in a silent testing room ;)


So those were my June favorites! Let me know if you liked this post and want to see a July favorites next month ;)

xoxo, Hannah





No comments:

Post a Comment