June 22, 2014

Lemon Radish Leaf Pesto on Zucchini Noodles

I love zucchini noodles even though I never remember that "zucchini" has two " c's " and only one " n ". I've never really eaten raw zucchinis, but zucchini noodles, at least to me, are similar to cauliflower rice or,  to some people, shredded brussel sprouts. The flavor is different when it's cut into thinner, smaller pieces and it's kind of like a blank canvas where you can just toss it in any dressings or ingredients and it will taste amazing. An additional bonus with eating zucchini noodles is that you get so much texture from them! And don't forget, they're gluten-free.

When I went to the farmer's market a couple weeks ago, I picked up some organic, locally-grown radishes for the first time. Now I had tons of ideas on how to use the radishes themselves, but I drew a blank when it came to the radish leaves. According to Google, they're edible, so instead of making a salad with the radish leaves or just sauteing them, I made a pesto that turned out pretty good. I'm not sure if it's something that I'd want to make over again since I've never really played around with pesto and wasn't that use to the flavors, but I think it was still a successful experiment.



Recipe: Lemon Radish Leaf Pesto on Zucchini Noodles
By: Hannah Claudia
________________________________________________

For the pesto:

bunch of radish leaves (approx. 1.5-2 cups for me)
1/2 cup of toasted almonds (i used almond slices)
juice of 1/2 lemon
splash of water
enough extra virgin olive oil to achieve your desired consistency

For the zucchini noodles:

1 zucchini, spiralized
1 radish, sliced thinly (I used a vegetable peeler)
1/2 tomato, sliced
handful of toasted almond slices
(opt) bits of kale chips --i had a lot of leftover
crumbled bits at the bottom of a bag of tarragon dijon kale chips
and didn't want to waste them but the bottom bits are always usually
super salty so I just sprinkled them over the noodles to amp up the flavor!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Blend up all of the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor until you achieve
your desired consistency.
2. Toss the zucchini noodles in the pesto and serve with the other ingredients ;)










how cool is that?




for me, 1 spiralized zucchini yields 2 servings (one for dinner and one for lunch the next day!)


i just chop up the core of the zucchini that's not spiralized (you'll see once you use a spiralizer why the core isn't turned into noodles) and tossed the bits into the noodles.






I think my favorite part about zucchini noodles is that they're another creative way to eat salads. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a bowl of chopped lettuce, avocado, corn, tomatoes, an amazing dressing, etc., but for me, part of the experience of eating food is the feast for my eyes. I need to change things up every now and then, and this is my new way of playing around with my food in a healthy way ;)

xoxo, Hannah










2 comments:

  1. this looks AMAZING! thanks for sharing, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob! Thanks for your sweet comment :) Let me know what you think !

      Delete