June 13, 2014

Baked Apple: Healthy McDonald's Apple Pie

Although I have avoided eating fast food (particularly McDonald's) for the past 2-3 years, my mom continues to go to McDonald's every now and then because she absolutely loves their apple pies. I wasn't intentionally trying to come up with a dupe for McDonald's apple pies when I made this recipe, but when I took my first bite, I was happily surprised by how similar it tastes to the filling in McDonald's pies! I split my baked apple with my mom, and she couldn't help but agree. But while McDonald's apple pies are laden with fat, sugar, and processed preservatives, this baked apple is naturally sweetened and made of whole, unprocessed ingredients. Plus, it's healthy, gluten-free, and vegan. (and reminds me of fall, which I miss dearly due to the humid, sticky summer weather here)







Recipe: Baked Apple
By: Hannah Claudia
_________________________________________________________________________

1 granny smith apple
1-2 Medjool dates, cut up
Small handful of walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon of craisens
Cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons of almond milk

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Cut the top part of the granny smith apple (I peeled mine because it wasn't organic).
2. Use a melon baller to scoop out the core of the apple and to hollow it out into a cup. I used a regular spoon and accidentally split the apple in half (it's really easy to break it in half). oops.
3. Rub the insides of the apple and the top with cinnamon. 
4. Fill it up with the dates, walnuts, and craisens. Add back in any pieces of the apple that you cored (chop them first).
5. Pour the almond milk into the apple "cup", close the lid on top, and place on a prepared baking sheet. Since mine was broken in half, I wrapped it in foil.
6. Bake at 350*F for about 25 minutes.


ahhhh i miss fall. but then again, i just finished my last final and i have my ACTs tomorrow, so maybe i'll give summer another chance to redeem itself ;)

xoxo, Hannah
















No comments:

Post a Comment