May 13, 2014

Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Lettuce Cups and Orange Ginger Marinade



Last summer, I remember making these mango cashew lettuce wraps
and that they were really good. Well, I tried looking to see if 
I still had my modified version of the recipe (original by Laura Miller),
but unfortunately, I didn't. I didn't even have cashews on hand anyways,
so I made shiitake mushroom cabbage cups/wraps. 

I have to be honest, these are good, but they still don't compare to the mango cashew
lettuce wraps. I'm definitely going to experiment and figure that recipe out again,
but this recipe is still great. I honestly thought I had never eaten shiitake mushrooms before
I looked up a photo of them and realized that I've eaten them since I was 3 lol. 
They're chewy but also full of flavor.  I have the dried ones at home, so I soaked them overnight 
in some water after rinsing them a couple times, and saved the mushroom-y water for another recipe. 


Recipe: Shiitake Mushroom Lettuce Cups and Orange Ginger Marinade
By: Hannah Claudia
(serves 2)
_________________________________________________________________________________

Lettuce/Cabbage leaves (cabbage is firmer but also a bit harder on your teeth; both taste great)
6-7 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water overnight or soaked in boiling water for 1 hour
1/2 - 1 avocado, sliced
1/2 block of tofu, sliced and marinated in the orange ginger marinade overnight
Sliced almonds (opt)

Orange Ginger Marinade: 
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 orange, sliced
2 inch. piece of ginger, sliced
1/8 cup of sesame oil
1.5 tablespoons of Korean BBQ sauce (super sweet and has a thick, molasses like consistency)
2 tbsp of balsamic vinagarette
2 tbsp of applesauce 
1 tbsp maple syrup

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. For the marinade: blend all of the ingredients up until you get a smooth consistency
2. Tofu: cut some up and let them marinate over night.
Shiitake mushrooms: if they are dried, hydrate them over night. You can save the 
mushroom stock for another recipe (like congee---recipe on Thursday!)
3. Heat some coconut oil in a pan and pan fry the tofu the next day.
When you're done cooking the tofu, set the tofu aside. 
4. Cut the hydrated mushrooms into bite sized pieces (smaller the better),
and in the same pan that you used to cook the tofu, quickly sautee the mushrooms.
5. With the leftover marinade that you have from marinating the tofu and toss it into the 
same pan to reduce and thicken.
6. Assemble your wraps and enjoy :)












xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment