May 15, 2014

Vegan Brown Rice Shiitake Mushroom Congee

I tried out a brown rice congee
recipe and I think I like it; it's definitely not as flavorful
as the ones that we get from the restaurants that have been cooked
in homemade beef broth but this is even healthier and homemade.
The recipe that I used was from: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-brown-rice-congee-with-shiitake-mushrooms-and-greens-recipes-from-the-kitchn-185837

I cut the recipe in half which made enough for 3-4 servings.
I also took the leftover mushroom stock from soaking the mushrooms
and included that as part of the liquid that was going to cook the rice.
The mushroom really didn't impart that much flavor but it's still a deeper
flavor compared to just water.

I also tried making and eating a poached egg for the first time;
runny yolks used to always scare me but I realized that if the egg
is organic and safe from any bacteria/hormones then the raw yolk can
actually be very beneficial. It raises GOOD CHOLESTEROL and
salmonella is found on the shell not on the insides, so don't be afraid
to try eating raw yolks. 








unfortuntaely, I had family over and they were using 
the camera, so I wasn't able to take photos of the finished result :(

but I hope you try this recipe out anyways!

xoxo, Hanah

No comments:

Post a Comment