April 1, 2014

APRIL FOOL'S DAY:: Vegan, Gluten-Free :: Sweet Potato "Chicken" Nuggets



HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY!
Now I'm not really the biggest pranker, but I think this recipe might
trick some of those carnivores out there into eating their veggies :)


Here's a twist on my sweet potato falafel recipe: VEGAN chicken nuggets.
Now, I've tried some "meat-free" meat products (aka veggie burgers, veggie nuggets),
but I've never really liked them that much. 

However, when I made my falafels a couple weeks ago, I was HOOKED.
I recently finished off the last of my frozen batch of falafels, so I wanted to play with the recipe
and make a "chicken" nugget since I didn't have the same ingredients to make the falafel.
The verdict: they're really good! 

Falafel Recipe: http://hannahclaudia.blogspot.com/2014/03/sweet-potato-chickpea-falafel.html

I have to be honest, the falafels do beat these, but I mean what can top hummus?
Nothing. But these are a close second :)

This is the first post in a series of three posts with sweet potato recipes so GET PUMPED!
My dad bought a ton of sweet potatoes and I wanted to use some up.
Like my falafel recipe, I implemented shredded sweet potatoes into the bean paste
just like how my grandpa mixes in shredded sweet potato into his meatballs. This makes
the nuggets really moist on the inside, but the grounded flax seed meal (which is a twist from the last recipe)
allows a crunchy exterior that's full of fiber and best of all, GLUTEN FREE!!


I know, it looks like fish paste or something weird,
but it's just a mixture of beans!



the secret ingredient



I buy flax seeds whole because flax meal can go rancid
quickly because grinding up the seeds releases the natural oils which
spoil quickly. If you have a coffee grinder, you can grind up the seeds
using that, but we don't have one, so I just use a
blender and in less than 10 seconds, BAM, flax seed meal :)





I mean come on, tell me that doesn't look like a chicken nugget!




Recipe: Sweet Potato "Chicken" Nuggets
                                                                     By: Hannah Claudia          
                                                                                                                                                                  

3 cloves of garlic, minced
1.5-2 cups of cooked beans (I used a mixture of chickpeas, lentils, and kidney beans)
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons of water (to loosen up the mixture)
2 teaspoons of black pepper
1 sweet potato, shredded
1/4 cup of flax seed meal

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. In a food processor, blend the garlic, beans, sesame oil, and black pepper.
2. Add water to loosen up the mixture to achieve a paste-like consistency. It should
hold its shape but not be super crumbly.
3. Mix in the shredded sweet potato.
4. Form tablespoon sized balls of the bean mixture and roll them in the flax seed meal.
5. Flatten the balls onto a greased baking sheet to achieve "nugget" shapes.
6. Bake at 375*F for 15 minutes, and then flip the nuggets. Bake for another 10 minutes.





MMMMMMMMMMMMM sooo good!

Lol, if you watch @apriljustintv on youtube, I literally had a Justin "foodgasm"
when I ate these with my favorite, KETCHUP.
Fun fact: I've always loved ketchup ever since I was a little kid ;)

Try this recipe out and see if you can fool anyone!
xoxo, Hannah













No comments:

Post a Comment