March 2, 2014

Vegan, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free::Homemade CLIF Bars


Vegan. Gluten-Free. Sugar-Free. Can it be any good?!
Let me tell you a little secret: 
...
....
.....
......
.......
......
.....
....
...
the answer is yes!

When I was a freshman in high school, my daily snack was a cliff bar.
I pretty much tried every flavor, from carrot cake to blueberry crisp,
and I didn't stop there---I then became obsessed with LUNA bars.
These energy bars are super filling but quite sugary.
So the other day, I was messing around with some ingredients and 
I came up with a homemade version of a CLIF-bar that
is super easy to make and is customizable to your taste!

Not only can you add any ingredients to make your own personal flavors,
you can also customize the baking time --- I used to think that CLIF bars were too
chewy and hard, so I just bake these until they hold their shape so my teeth don't hurt ;)



Recipe: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free: Homemade CLIF Bars
                                                                     By: Hannah Claudia                  
                                                                                                                                                                  

3/4 cups pitted Medjool dates
1 cup of water
1 cup of oats
Your choice of spices
 [I used 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp cinnamon]
1 cup of any dry ingredients that you want! (get creative ;) )
[in my CLIF bars, I used sliced almonds, chopped pecans, unsweetened coconut flakes, craisens]

IDEAS for mix-ins:
nut butters, peanut/chocolate/toffee chips (if you want to sweeten it up), chia seeds,
quinoa, nuts, cereal, dried fruit

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. In a blender, blend the dates and water until you have a liquid-y paste 
(almost like the consistency of almond butter).
2. Mix in all the spices and your dry ingredients. 
3. Bake at 325*F for around 20 minutes (it all depends on how soft or chewy you want these to be)










If you come up with any cool flavor pairings,
let me know in the comments ;)!

xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment