March 16, 2014

Gluten-Free, Vegan: Sweet Potato Chickpea Falafel




When I used to eat meat, one of my favorite dishes that my Grandpa made were his sweet potato meatballs. The sweet potatoes added a really great sweetness to the meatball (it may sound weird since meatballs are savory but trust me, it’s good stuff) and they would make the meatballs really moist on the inside. Since I don’t eat meat now and fish meatballs aren’t exactly my thing, I decided to mash my Grandpa’s twist on meatballs with a falafel recipe! These falafels are crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. I like to make a big batch at once and then freeze them after baking so I have ready to go frozen falafels that I can pop into the oven (about 425*F for 15-20 minutes) throughout the busy week!




Recipe: Sweet Potato Chickpea Falafels
By: Hannah Claudia
____________________________________________________________________
1.5-2 cups of cooked chickpeas
(I didn’t have enough so I also added in some black beans and kidney beans ;) )
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 heaping tablespoon of hummus

1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

1/4 cup chopped scallion

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 sweet potato, grated

About ½ cup of flax seeds or flax meal to coat the falafels

Grapeseed oil for pan frying

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Add all of the ingredients except for the sweet potato and flax seeds to a food processor 
and blend until smooth.
2.  Mix in the sweet potatoes with a spoon. Use a tablespoon to spoon out the falafel batter 
and form a meatball shape. Roll the falafel in some flax seeds.
3. Heat a few tablespoons of grapeseed or coconut oil in a frying pan and pan fry the
 falafels in batches. Don’t overcrowd the pan because it will be hard to flip them and 
overcrowding will reduce the temperature of the oil.

   4. On a greased baking sheet, bake the falafels at 400*F for about 25 minutes.




anyone else a hummus fan like myself?






flax seeds are high in fiber & a great source of omega-3 :)











xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment