March 28, 2014

The Best Banana Muffins (Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Fat)




Let me tell you, these babies are gluten-free, sugar free (excluding the natural sugar in bananas),
and low-fat, and they are 1000000000 times better than any regular muffin from the store. Trust me.
This was my very first recipe that I came up with on my own, and it has been tested 
thousands of times, and I am confident in saying that it is PERFECT.
Nothing can go wrong with this recipe and it's very versatile. They freeze beautifully; just pop them in
the toaster to defrost & toast them and you have an awesome dessert/snack/breakfast/whatever in just a couple of minutes.

Recipe: Moist Banana Muffins
                                                                     By: Hannah Claudia             
                                                                                                                     


1.5 cups of oat flour*
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup of grapeseed or coconut oil
2 tsp of vanilla extract
2 large or 3 small super ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce

(opt:)1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seed (flax meal)
(opt:)1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut flakes

*if you don't have oat flour, do what i do: put some oats in a food processor/blender and process/blend until 
the oats resemble a flour-texture! (should take less than a minute)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix the dry ingredients together. 
2. Mix the first 3 wet ingredients together and pour into the dry ingredient mixture. Whisk until blended.
One of the great things about gluten-free batters is that you don't have to worry about over-mixing,
so mix as much as you want and you'll still get a super moist muffin ;)
3. Switch to a rubber spatula and mix in the mashed bananas and applesauce. At this point, I like to add
some flax meal and coconut flakes (I eyeball the amounts based on the consistency of the batter).
4. Prepare a muffin pan and fill the muffin pan all the way to the top. I never understand why people say
to fill the cups 3/4 full; in all of my life, my muffins have never risen to have a muffin top when I fill the tins 3/4 of the way full, even with regular batters with gluten. I love having that little muffin top so I fill the muffin tins all the way to the top. And since I'm that much of a coconut addict (if you've been reading my recipes for a while, you'll know that I'm obsessed with unsweetened coconut flakes), I sprinkle some extra coconut flakes on top.
5. Bake at 350*F for 23-25 minutes.

To freeze: I let the muffins cool and then I slice them all in half. I then put a small piece of wax paper in between the halves and freeze them. The wax paper prevents the halves from getting stuck together and cutting the muffins in half makes the defrosting/toasting process a lot quicker.







I've mentioned this before, but Vermont Organic applesauce (unsweetened)
is THE BEST. I know, it's just applesauce, but seriously. Just try this stuff. 
Then you'll understand.

If course it's much more expensive than regular applesauce, so I typically buy the generic unsweetened, all natural kind from Wegman's (my happy place). 




The batter is much runnier than typical muffin batters because
there's a lot of liquid in it, but that's what makes it super moist!






If you have to only choose one recipe out of all my recipe posts to try out, 
THIS IS IT.
Let me know what you think!

xoxo, Hannah








No comments:

Post a Comment