February 6, 2014

Winter Flavors::Vietnamese Spring Roll as a Dessert


I first got the idea for this healthy dessert from Giada Laurentis's
summer fruit roll recipe; she used fresh strawberries and mint
in her vietnamese spring roll. 

However, since strawberries aren't in season, I decided to come up with
this twist using winter (mostly Thanksgiving) flavors !


Ingredients:

Vietnamese Rice Paper Sheets
Sweet Potato Puree (recipe below)
Cranberry Sauce (recipe below)
Pecans


Soak the rice paper sheets in warm water for about 30 seconds
until pliable.


I like to make sweet potato puree ahead of time; 
I just boiled some sweet potatoes until fork tender. 
Next, I drained out the water and added cinnamon and
almond milk to get to my desired mashed potato consistency.

If you want, you can add some maple syrup, but I try not to
add a ton of sugar into my diet.


I also love cranberry sauce because it's tart and it's kind of 
like your own homemade jelly without all the preservatives
and sugar ;)

I add about 1 cup of water to a pot and 1/2 cup of
chopped dates and let everything boil. The natural sugar
from the dates will mix into the water to create a natural
syrup. When the water boils, I add 1.5 cups of whole,
frozen cranberries, and cool everything until all the cranberries
have burst (around 10-15 minutes). This sauce is a bit more tart
since I don't add any sweeteners other than the dates,
but I personally think that it's suitable for my palate ;) 
Feel free to add a little bit of maple syrup to sweeten it if
you prefer something a lot sweeter, but without it isn't really that sour at all. 


To the spring roll sheet that's been soaked, I added
1/4 cup of the puree, and some cranberry sauce and the pecans.

Tip: I made a mistake the first time I made this, but
if you want the roll to look pretty ;), put the pecans
upside down on the spring roll sheet first and then layer the
sweet potato and the cranberry sauce. 

Like this:





Wrap it up like a burrito ;)



It's quite rich because the sweet potato puree
is very thick, but you don't have to feel guilty about eating it
because sweet potatoes are sooo great for you!
Plus, cranberry sauce and pecans are chock full of antioxidants,
and the rice paper sheets are gluten free :)




Enjoy :)

xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment