February 25, 2014

Vegan, Gluten-Free: Apple Oatmeal Muffins



Um...I totally didn't just eat three of these last night... 


I got this recipe from The Gluten Free Vegan:
http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/2013/11/maple-apple-oatmeal-muffins/

Since most of my family can't eat sugar, here are the substitutions I made:

-1/3 cup of unsweetened, coconut flakes instead of coconut sugar
-1/2 cup extra unsweetened applesauce instead of maple syrup
-I used 3 parts white rice flour and 2 parts cornstarch (didn't have any of the extra stuff on hand)
-I added about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon



I was kinda skeptical about the baking temperature 
(400*F is quite high for muffins) and after 15 minutes, I lowered the 
temperature to 350*F and baked it for about an extra 10-15 minutes
because the tops of the muffin looked really dry.
Looking back, I actually think that 400*F would have been totally fine because
the muffins actually weren't dry at all, but I think I'll try baking at 375*F for 25-30 minutes
would be better next time. 


Super moist, delicious, and healthy!
Even though it tastes good without sugar, apples have a very light
and subtle flavor. They're not as sweet as bananas so I think I'll
either try to add maybe 1/8-1/4 cup of maple syrup next time to sweeten
things up a bit and maybe add some frozen cranberries for some extra flavor!


xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment