February 15, 2014

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese Recipe


My Christmas gift for my brother was a "coupon" jar, full of slips
of paper with personalized "coupons" that I made. They included
"drive me to school and buy me breakfast" coupons, "tutor me on SAT
stuff for 1 hour" coupons, and "make me any dish that I choose" coupons.

Well, today, he decided to use the very first coupon and he requested that I make
lobster mac & cheese...but it's not lobster season...and we don't have lobster in the house...
so instead, I threw in some IKEA meatballs and sauteed veggies and he loved it!

Unfortunately, since it's full of dairy, meat, and gluten,
I wasn't able to test taste it, but my brother did finish over 60% of the 
entire batch, so I think it was quite successful ;)




Recipe: Macaroni & Cheese
                                                                     By: Hannah Claudia                  
                                                                                                                                                                      
(Serves 4-6 people)

3-4 mushrooms, chopped
1/4 of a zucchini, sliced in half and diced
1 handful of spinach

(feel free to add more veggies if you'd like)

10-12 meatballs
2 cups elbow pasta, boiled
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter (I used margarine)
1 cup of milk
1/2 bay leaf
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1.5 cups of your favorite cheese(s) & some extra to top
(I used raw cheddar & mozzarella)
Breadcrumbs (I didn't have any, so I made some almond meal)


1. Cook the meatballs (I used IKEA frozen meatballs, so I just followed
the directions on the package and baked them for 15 minutes at 450*F).
When they're done cooking, cut them in bite sized pieces.

2. To make the roux, I melted the butter and mixed in the flour to make a paste.
I cooked the butter/flour paste for about a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste,
and then I added the milk, oregano, black pepper, salt, and bay leaf.
 Stir constantly until the mixture can coat the back of a wooden
spoon. Take the bay leaf out. Stir in the cheese(s) until they're melted.

3. Sautee the vegetables.

4. Mix all the veggies, meatballs, and boiled pasta into the cheese sauce.

5. Place in a bake-safe dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs/almond meal and extra cheese
on top, and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350*F. 

ENJOY ;)

















AHHHHH I mean just LOOK at that!!
I was so jealous of him when he got to eat it... ;)

xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment