February 20, 2014

Gluten-Free Pound Cake/Cake Donut


One of my long-time childhood favorites is walnut pound cake
that we used to always get from Chinatown in NYC. 
It's super dense, rich, thick, and absolutely delicious. 
Being a nut addict, the walnuts are a perfect addition and
peanut butter to spread on top --- aghhhh why can't I eat gluten!?!?

Luckily, I have concocted my own gluten-free recipe for a delicious
pound cake that I think is a close second to the walnut pound cake 
that I used to eat all the time. In a way, it kind of tastes like a cake donut (my favorite type of donut!).

Ever since I started to eat gluten-free, I haven't done very much baking 
simply because I also try not to eat a ton of carbohydrates that don't come
from whole grains. But a little treat here and there never hurts and is important too.
Plus, this recipe doesn't call for butter ---it requires oil!
It's much lower in sugar content and it uses less eggs than regular pound cake recipes ;)



Recipe: Gluten-Free Pound Cake
                                                                     By: Hannah Claudia                  
                                                                                                                                                                      
(makes about 5 little cakes)

1 and 1/8 cup of gluten free flour *
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/4 cup of stevia (or sugar if you want)
1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
3/8 cup of olive oil/avocado oil (any lighter type of oil)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/3 cup of almond milk
1 egg
1/8 cup of unsweetened applesauce
almond milk


1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
2. Mix all of the wet ingredients and then add the wet into the dry.
3. Spray a bundt cake pan or a muffin tin (or even a loaf pan if you want a larger cake)
with non-stick spray and fill them 3/4 of the way full with the batter. 
(To make my life easier, I pour the batter into a pyrex measuring cup)
4. Bake at 350*F for around 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 
comes out clean.

*My gluten-free flour mix I used: 3 parts rice flour and 2 parts cornstarch.
I just mixed 3 cups of rice flour and 2 cups of cornstarch and keep the extra
flour mixture on hand for the future!


Here are some sneak-peak photos from tomorrow's post
on how to use the gluten-free pound cake to make a
healthy bread pudding!




Get ready for another awesome recipe tomorrow ;)

xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment