January 31, 2014

Cookie Hangover :: Gluten-Free, Vegan Cookie Recipe


These are crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth cookies that are vegan
and gluten-free. 
Today, I was experimenting in the kitchen, and I literally had no idea
what I was doing. I just threw a bunch of ingredients together and 
BAM ---this was the result: an amazing batch of cookies. 
I tried to write down the measurements but to be honest,
I basically just eye-balled everything. Besides
my gluten-free banana muffins, I have very little experience
baking gluten-free desserts, so I just take my experience working with
regular all-purpose flour and translate it to experimenting with gluten-free flour.

What you're really looking for is just a wet and sticky cookie dough that holds up pretty well.
It's a bit crumbly but trust me, it'll work.



Recipe: Gluten-Free, Vegan Cookie Recipe

1/3 cup almond meal (if you are allergic, just replace it with oat flour)
1 cup of oat flour
1/3-1/2 cup of rice flour (I really just eyeballed this part; details below)
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3-5 tablespoons of milk 
(opt.) chocolate chips, pecans, craisens

1. Mix almond meal, oat flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
2. Add vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons of milk. If the dough is not quite
wet enough, add extra milk.
3. Add any mix-ins that you want; to be honest, I think I went a little bit 
too heavy handed with the chocolate chips for my taste (i can't believe i just 
said that, but it's kinda true).
4. Gradually add rice flour to bind everything together into a sticky dough. 
This is the part that I really just eyeballed so I don't have the exact measurements,
but honestly, I think gluten-free baking is a lot easier than regular baking because
regular all-purpose flour is a lot more finicky and tricky to work with, while
gluten-free doughs tend to come out (in my experience) well all the time without
much hassle. 
5. Use a tablespoon to spoon out dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake at 375 F for around 13-15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.



~ chocolatey goodness ~

i think i've eaten 7 or 8 of these today...
i'd say i feel a little guilty since i've been insanely strict with myself this week,
but then again, they're really not THAT unhealthy! 
and besides, it's important to treat yourself every now and then. 
i just don't recommend going crazy like i did xD


the texture of this cookie is awesome. yes, it's not like those 
soft, chewy cookies but it's a lot healthier than most cookies because
it doesn't contain animal products and you can totally cut down on the calories
by skipping out on the chocolate chips. this is definitely going to be my 
go-to recipe if i'm craving some cookies :) 


See that? Three are missing within five minutes of taking these babies out of the oven.
They're addicting but they really don't come with all that much guilt ;)
Let me know if you try this recipe out ;)

Happy Chinese New Year everybody
xoxo, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment